• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

appendicitis?

rollin_stoned

Bluelighter
I woke up at 8 in the morning today with the sharpest pain i've ever felt in my entire abdomen but seemed to be coming right from the center, and it was so bad that I could barely walk and had to walk hunched over. It felt like my ab muscles or something in my stomach was being ripped apart. So I took pepto bismol because for some reason I thought that would help, but than I became nauseated so bad that I puked (which also kinda seemed that I puked just because how bad the pain was). Anyway, I managed to fall back asleep through the intense pain and woke up about 10 minutes ago and the pain is still there, but it's moved. It moved like down a little and to the right. The pain isn't AS bad as before, but I still have the nausea, and I still have to be hunched over to walk.

I don't know what the hell this could be, I know the best bet would be to go to a doctor, but I just want a few opinions before I pay a shitload of money just to find out it's like gas or some shit.

I don't know what the hell this could be, I know the best bet would be to go to a doctor, but I just want a few opinions before I pay a shitload of money just to find out it's like gas or some shit.

There's a lot of things it could be, and a lot of them require medical attention. If you're in that much pain it's time to see a doc. Do you have an urgent care center by you? They tend to be cheaper than the ER. If they diagnose or suspect something serious they may send you to the ER or admit you into the hospital, but if it turns out to be something minor you could save some money.

There are some "tricks" to diagnosing appendicitis but they're not fool-proof and you run the risk of delaying treatment for an equally serious problem.

See if the pain on your right side increases when you...

Press on the left side of the abdomen

Lie on your left side and flex your hip

Press on the right side and release. (will be more painful on the release of pressure)

Sudden impact on the feet either from a smack to the bottom of the foot or quick jump. ( a quick jump will likely aggravate any abdominal issues though)

Pain above the belly button may increase with lateral rotation of the hip.

You can't diagnose appendicitis based on these signs alone. Positive signs can be present with other abdominal issues and the absence of signs in no way means that you're ok.

To the OP: If you have sudden relief of pain don't think your out of the clear, if it is appendicitis it could just mean that your appendix has ruptured.

fuck, of course AFTER I take medicine and have a soda I read that you shouldn't take pain medicine because it can cause the appendix to rupture and they both will delay or complicate surgery -.-

I also read if you have abdominal pain for more than 4 hours to seek medical attention and it's been well over that. Everything i've read on this sounds like what I have, but my mom is sleeping and has work tomorrow, and i'd feel bad if it turned out to be nothing /:

i'd feel bad if it turned out to be nothing /:

You'll feel far worse if it is something serious. Pain that starts in the center of the abdomen and shifts to the right side is a classic symptom of appendicitis. That doesn't that that's what, it means, but you really need to get checked out.

Are you running a fever at all? It's one of the less common signs, so if you don't have one you can't rule it out. With a fever it's almost certain that there's some kind of infection though. It could mean that you just have a stomach virus, but the symptoms you describe really need to be checked. With the stomach flu the prominent symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea. Stomach pain is usually a result of or secondary to that. It sounds to me that pain is the most serious symptom here.

but what about the soda and ibuprofen I had? if i do have it than i'll be fucked for surgery

The doctors will deal with it. They will want you to have an empty stomach before surgery but soda will move through your system pretty fast, just don't eat anything until you get the go ahead from the doctor,

Ibuprofen could potentially cause you to bleed more but doctors are prepared to deal with that. It's pretty common that patients in pain will take medicine to try to treat their symptoms before receiving medical treatment. The docs will know how to handle it. Just make sure you let them know.

now i'm freakin, about 20 mins ago i heard a noise where the pain was and the pain instantly went away......the pain is still there slightly but only when i stand whereas before I couldn't even move an inch without being in pain.

i want to go to the hospital, but i feel perfectly fine now so i really don't see the point in going.

GO TO THE ER:

let my tell you a rather entertaining and quit anecdotal story about an appendicitis:

a long time ago in a far away place, i may have been doing a lot of MDMA one week and not eating well. i gained some intense stomach pain one evening, and immediately attributed it to my poor 'dietary' habits that week. i thought i could zen away the pain, as im rather stoical, and informed my friends i wouldnt be partying that night. i decided to get blazed and watch saving private ryan.

about towards the end of the movie, my stomach hurt so bad i thought for sure there was a golf ball sized hole in it. still attributing this to drug use (i was a kid, whatever), i simply went to the bathroom thinking that pukign would relieve me. i gagged myself and with each heave, it felt like someone was stabbing my stomach.

again, i can ignore damn near any pain, so i toughed it up and poped some downers and went to bed. i woke up, and instantly it felt like a sovel was diggingi n my stomach. i continued to ignore this for the entire day, walking like an old man and just telling my friends "im cool im cool ill sleep it off." everyone implored me to go to the hospital but i had to be a tough guy.

that evening i spent 95% of the time writhing in the fetal position at the intense pain in my stomach. it felt like a knife was just revolving around in circles, slashing up every parto f my guts. to this day ive not known such pain, and im the sort to make annual visits to the ER. it got to the point that i became completely delerious, was hallucinating everything i saw, and had absolutely no idea who i was, where i was, or what my body even felt like. some friends told me that if i wasnt physically able to meet up at a place to eat and hang out, they were forcing me to go to the hospital. funny how even in that mindstate, i refused treatment.

sure enough, i could barely walk, and they tricked me into going to see a local clinic. the lady there touched my stomach, and i bounced up off the table and writhed on the floor in agony. she said i needed immediate surgery and called an ambulance. i was a total wackjob in the ambulance, i remember seeing these dudes from the civil war with old school muskets talking about how they were going panning for gold in Tennessee. i have no memory of any such ambulance.

the following is relayed to me by my dad and 2 of my friends: i was in the ER going into shock. i freaked out from being in shock and started throwing pillows at my dad and screaming "get me out of this place." a nurse walked up to me and shot me up with like 5cc of morphene, and my dad was telling me i kept talking about how damn good it felt to be shot up for once (ive still never IVed on my own).

so then i was wheeled into the anesthesiologist, and he asked me if i did heroin or crack and i laughed and was all like no dood. so then he asked if i smoked cannabis, and i said not for a while, man. he said, how long is a while? and i said, not since my stomach started hurting real bad. he then gave me a lecture on why i shouldnt smoke so much weed that i consider a while 2 days.

i remember seeing an old lady walking a dog, sideways, on the hallway as i went into surgery. as i was being strapped down for anesthesia, i recall seeing all these dudes that i thought were the illuminati staring at me, and i got this weird premonition they were worrying about money of some sort. i then recall having a vision of a bunch of very unattractive nurses give me a sponge bath, and myself being paralyzed unable to ask them to stop. this was all apparently happening while the anestheseologist was baffled at the dose he had to give me (tolerance bitch!).

when i came to, a surgeon was in front of me explaining what had happened. it was pretty much some crazy divine intervention i diddnt kill myself ignoring that pain. he told me the odds of surviving this incident because i diddnt seek treatment was like nilch. my appendix became so swollen and grew so large, it pushed my stomach inside out. in his 35 years of emergency surgery hes never seen that happen. he said if i had waited 2 more hours to arrive, it would have burst, i would ahve felt a temporary sensation of relief, likely fell asleep from it, and the poison from the appendix would kill me within 3 hours.

i was in the hospital for a week, and pretty much a cripple for 2 months from it. i have a 7 inch long, half inch wide scar on my abs from it. most appendectomy scars are like, inch long, centimeter wide. no pain killers prescribed AT ALL as theyd encourage me to rip my scar open :(

seriously, go to the hospital.

well I ended up going to the hospital at 5 in the morning.....that was by far the fastest time in the ER.

Got there, was called in 5 mins, did simple tests and went to an ER room. Than a million more fucking nurses came in asking the same exact god damn questions, and even though they were look directly at my wristband, they were asking my DOB 8) Than the doctor showed up and said I would need blood work done and get a CAT scan.....oh, and the fucking contrast had to be administered rectally :! :! That CAT scan was such a horrible experience....you'd think they'd make the thing they insert very thin, but nope it was huge....at least from what I felt......and to top it all off they had a damn balloon at the end of it so it stays in which made it even more painful :p Than they fucking pumped like 5 gallons of this shit into my my intestines, but I couldn't fit it all lol, i felt like I was going to explode, and it made the pain I already had 100 times worse :!

I got that done and got blood work done twice, so by this point I was saying "I'd better fucking have appendicitis otherwise i'll be FUCKING pissed if I went through all of this for nothing."

Doctor comes back about 2 hours later to tell me that i've got appendicitis and I would be going into surgery at 1:30.....this made my heart DROP cause i've never had surgery and i'm scared of the whole thing esp the people that wake up during the operation but are unable to say anything or move at all. So 1:30 rolls around and I go to the surgery floor and they give me this shit to calm me down......OMFG THAT WAS THE BEST SHIT EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, best feeling ever lol. Than without warning they give me the anesthesia and I realized my hearing started to get really weird and everything overall got really weird so I told the nurses and they said they gave it to me so i'm like "oh, okay, than i'm not dying, good night" and was out halfway through "night" xD

Now i'm getting hydromorphone every 2 hours, and I think tramadol (I can't fucking understand this nurse's accent) every 6 hours.....but the nurse I've got right now administers the hydromorphone really fast so I get a rush everytime :p Obv not a strong one, but noticeable.

All in all, i'm glad I came because I ended up actually having appendicitis........veryyyyy random lol

Oh, and about the whole "if the pain disappears instantly than it ruptured"....I got mixed answers about this but all of the doctors were saying that isn't true and only got one that said that it means that it could have opened a little but not rupture.

Glad you went in!

Oh, and about the whole "if the pain disappears instantly than it ruptured"....I got mixed answers about this but all of the doctors were saying that isn't true and only got one that said that it means that it could have opened a little but not rupture.

I find this a bit strange. The appendix absolutely can rupture, and it's pretty common knowledge that it's usually followed by pain relief. A moderate reduction of pain would make it likely that it could be leaking and relieving some of the pressure. But rupture is definitely a possibility with untreated appendicitis.

Actually come to think of it, it's probably just a difference in terminology, a large tear would be considered a rupture by most. But a small tear with a leak would probably be called just a tear. Obviously the more pressure that's released when the appendix opens, the more pain relief one will feel. At least for a little while until peritonitis and sepsis set in.

Glad you're ok now and enjoy your drugs :D

Last edited:
Of course the appendix can rupture, that's the reason why they want it out ASAP. I was thinking that it opening a little bit would be considered a rupture, but I guess that's called a laceration. Either way, it's weird that the pain went away instantly for me, but I did hear and feel movement right where the pain was. When I got the CAT scan they said that they couldn't see the appendix too well which means it's blocked. So maybe when I heard that movement the blockage was somewhat relieved.

But this just sucks, that hydromorphone is the only thing that works, and it doesn't even work that well. I'm afraid to ask them for a higher dose because than I get paranoid that they're thinking that I just want to get high or something. What kind of pain pills do you think they'll prescribe me, because if this dilaudid isnt working as well as I'd like it to, I highly doubt something weak like Tylenol 3 or tramadol will work >.>